Maine is an incredible location to photograph. The sky seems to change every moment and the light is stunning. In fact our Motel was built in 1951 by artists from New York who were drawn here by the light. The rugged coastline, pristine forests and quaint villages all offer their own visual charms.
As part of our long-term goal to make the Yardarm Motel a more arts-focused destination, Digital Printmaker is hosting our first photography retreat from October 15 – 18th. We have space for 6 artists who are keen to experience and capture the beauty of Maine – not the traditional Acadia sightseeing, but something a little different, which we have broken down into three main categories:
- Local Architecture
- Coastal Scenery
- Woods & Fields
- Arrive Friday afternoon / evening. Welcome reception – homemade pizza with soft drinks, local beer or wine (not local unless you’re adventurous). We will go over the weekend’s shoot and print possibilities.
- Saturday morning – continental breakfast featuring locally roasted and freshly ground coffee, homemade blueberry muffins, cereal, oatmeal, bagels, yoghurt, breakfast bars and juice. Receive your self-guided itinerary, based on your chosen focus area. The rest of the morning/early afternoon will be spent exploring one of the following:
- Local architecture: focus on Castine, Blue Hill and Ellsworth
- Coastal scenery: focus on Deer Isle and Stonington
- Woods & fields: focus on Camden Hills State Park & Ducktrap River Preserve
- Saturday afternoon / evening – Check out the day’s shoot, select images for proofing.
Dinner – Youngs Lobster Pound, BYOB, sit on deck overlooking Belfast harbor (weather permitting; indoor seating also available) Dinner cost is not included in price of the workshop.
- Sunday morning – continental breakfast , check proofs from Saturday’s shoot. Boat trip around Penobscot Bay to photograph the coastline and Belfast harbor from the water.
- Sunday afternoon – explore Sears Island or choose your own adventure. This time can also be used for further review of proofs and/or making new proofs from Sunday morning’s shoot.
- Sunday evening – check proofs and select final images, paper and sizes. Barbecue around our fire pit (weather permitting; otherwise a local dining option will be selected).
- Monday morning – continental breakfast, pick up prints and head home.